On April 4th, the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training opened a new Canada-B.C. Job Grant (CJG) program funded under the Workforce Development Agreement. The Ministry will accept Applications starting April 9th, 2018 for training with start dates from April 4 to August 31, 2018.
· All employers and unions operating within B.C. in the private and non-profit sectors. Public sector employers are not eligible, this includes: provincial and federal governments, Crown corporations, hospitals, regional and provincial health authorities, schools, public post-secondary institutions and federal and provincial agencies.
· At the time of application, applicants must be registered with B.C. Registry Services and have had a current B.C. business licence for at least 1 year. A Business BCeID Account is also required in order to apply. Ian – just noting that it’s likely few of your members have this and it takes about a month to receive the Account number. Once they have it however, it can be attached to future grant applications.
Applicants should refer to the Eligibility Criteria for a complete list of eligibility requirements.
Under the new program, there are 3 streams that Employers may be eligible to apply under:
· Stream 1: Foundational Training Stream - This stream supports unemployed, underemployed and low-skilled British Columbians in obtaining the accredited, transferrable and certified skills to increase their job security. Industry or sector certification, apprenticeship, trades, early childhood education certification, and accredited essential skills training fall under this category. Approved applications for training under this stream will receive reimbursement of 100% of the eligible training costs up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant.
· Stream 2: Technical Skills Training Stream - This stream will assist employers experiencing workforce transition due to increased automation and technological advancements, by providing support to train current or new employees. This stream supports technical skills training required to use software, a program, or machinery. Approved applications for training under this stream will receive reimbursement of 80% of the eligible training costs up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant.
· Stream 3: Workforce Training Stream - This stream is designed to support any skills training that aligns with employers’ business needs. For example: leadership, management, and soft skills training fall under this category. Approved applications for training under this stream will receive reimbursement of 60% of the eligible training costs up to a maximum of $5,000 per participant.
Applicants should refer to the website for more information on the streams. https://www.workbc.ca/Employer-Resources/Canada-BC-Job-Grant.aspx